Day in history for July 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The lady John VanBuren is to marry is a daughter of former Senator McDuffie, deceased of South Carolina. She is wealthy, accomplished, beautiful and thirty.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Prof. F.B. Gamwell of Holliston, Mass., was elected principal of the Rock Island High School.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A committee consisting of J.H. Cledan, president of the Old Settlers' Assn., J.D. Heck, Thomas Campbell and Phil Mitchell conferred this afternoon about measures to preserve the old homestead of Col. George Davenport on the island of Rock Island.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Deputy sheriffs seized a 100-gallon still in operation, two barrels of mash and 50 gallons of alcohol that had been run off, in a raid south of Silvis. In a pursuit in which about twenty shots were fired, they captured one man, but at the end of a six mile chase were eluded by another man near the Short Hills County Club.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Operations at the Sylvan Island Republic Steel Corp. plant will continue for approximately one month after cessation of the United Steel Workers strike against the parent firm.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The future of John Deere School, 910 18th Ave., East Moline, is up in the air since Western Illinois University decided to move from the building last week.
Back: Available days in July 2006