Day in history for July 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We are requested to state that the public school in District No. 1 will commence on Monday morning at the new frame school house under the supervision of Mr. James Beardsley and Miss A. McCall, who are experienced and competent teachers.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Mat Mahoney was prostrated by the heat Saturday afternoon and died after being taken to the hospital. He was 25 years of age and had been married a short time.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. H.W. Reed officiated Monday at the marriage of Miss Minnie V. Lord and William T. Livingston, both of Thomson, Ill.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Burglars who entered Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 21st St. and 5th Ave., Rock Island, yesterday escaped with two chalices valued at $150. They chiseled locks off the tabernacle door on the altar to remove the valuable pieces.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The appointment of Lawrence Schatteman, 3313 13th St., East Moline, as caretaker for East Moline parks was announced today by August A. Poelvoorde, chairman of the grounds committee.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Hettie Mae Liston wasn't dreaming when she heard her name in the Illinois Lottery Drawing Thursday. The 64-year-old Rock Island woman was named winner of $25,000 and one of 14 people who will vie for a $1 million drawing.
Back: Available days in July 2006