Day in history for July 16, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday afternoon, the large sash, blind and door factory of Messrs. Osborn and Kelly in Moline was destroyed by fire. Losses were estimated at $12,000 and they have no insurance.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Gen. Henderson, congressman from this district, was here last night and left for Sterling this morning. He denounced Guiteau, who tried to kill President Garfield.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. Andrew W. Bowman, a native of Andalusia and one of the leading practitioners in Davenport, died at his home this morning. He was born in 1847, the son of Dr. E.H. Bowman, one of the pioneer physicians of this county.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A final meeting of the Tri-City Knights of Columbus barbecue committee will be at the summer camp of the Moline Council on Rock River this evening to make plans for the big annual outing at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds Sunday.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Clara Reinhardt, who was Rock Island County treasurer by appointment from Jan. 31, 1953 to Nov. 30, 1954, and has served as chief deputy to 11 county treasurers, has retired.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Western Illinois University Center for Continuing Education is moving in August from John Deere School, East Moline, to the Villa De Chantal, Rock Island.
Back: Available days in July 2006