Day in history for July 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Brigham Co. Ice Dealers are now prepared to furnish the citizens of Rock Island with ice.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The wharfage question is attracting much attention here as at present the St. Louis and St. Paul Lines are landing free of expense.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- M.W. Campbell, former city editor of The Argus, left last night for his old home near Independence, Iowa. He goes from there to Ottumwa to begin duties as editor of the Courier.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The 241st anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne, when William of Orange conquered the forces of his father-in-law, James II, king of England, became a holiday for several thousand persons today when the annual observance of the historic conflict was held in Lipton's Grove, two miles north of Preemption.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A bill providing for a 30-year extension of the toll franchise on the Rock Island Centennial Bridge to permit multi-million dollar approach improvements was signed this morning by President Dwight Eisenhower.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Marguerite Potter, deceased president of the company which publishes the Rock Island Argus, left an estate exceeding $7.5 million in liquid assets and shares of the Potter family newspaper and broadcasting company.
Back: Available days in July 2006