Day in history for July 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Camden Mills Flour and Feed Store, Illinois Street, Rock Island, offers Johnson's Extra Family Flour at the lowest market price.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- W.J. Browne, of Rock Island, will soon commence work with the Davenport Plow Works in the capacity of superintendent.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Slater Montrose, assistant manager of the Harper House, will go to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to become assistant manager of the Montrose Hotel.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Burglars who looted the N.W. Steiner Pharmacy at 5th Avenue and 23rd Street, Rock Island, early this morning carried away a pay station telephone, $3 in pennies and a few stamps.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Nancy Lou Kemnitz, 24, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy F. Kemnitz, 426 20th Ave., Moline, United Air Lines stewardess, was one of the 128 persons killed when two airliners crashed in the Grand Canyon Saturday afternoon. The disaster was the worst in the nation's commercial aviation history.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-City Chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) left Tuesday morning to join other Illinois supporters of the Equal Rights Amendment at a rally in Springfield. The rally was one of 170 throughout the country held to muster support for the ERA.
Back: Available days in July 2006