Day in history for June 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Among the large number of delegates to Cincinnati, who arrived in our city last evening, are the Hon. William A. Stone of Mississippi, Judge George R. Barrett, H.B. Beardsley Esq. and the Hon. John Cessna of Pennsylvania.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The high school commencement exercises are to take place in Harper's Theater on the evening of June 14.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Commencement exercises of the high school were held at the Illinois Theater last night. The alumni reunion is tonight at the Watch Tower Inn.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The career of Clara Bow as a motion picture star has ended, at least temporarily. Paramount Studios announced that they had granted her request for a release from her contract.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Bob Elsbury and Bob Sheraden, two 14-year-old Rock Island boys, and a third boy, Morrie Chamber, 13, had a field day with their bows and arrows yesterday morning in a slough back of Lake Potter. They bagged 60 carp.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Ronald F. Coene, acting director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), has received the Public Health Service Meritorious Service medal in Washington, D.C. Coene is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Francis Coene of 1401 3rd St., Moline.
Back: Available days in June 2006