Day in history for June 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A public hall large enough for the accommodation of our citizens is very much needed.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island and Moline military companies will take part in the dedication of the soliders monument in Davenport on the Fourth of July.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Class day exercises of the graduating high school class were held yesterday afternoon. Edward Clarence Martin delivered the president's address. The class prophecy was delivered by Jeanette Mosenfelder. Clara Crawford gave the class history and Eleanor Blanche Smith read the class will.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Thomas A. Journy, press room superintendent of The Argus for the past 25 years, president of the Rock Island Rod And Reel Club and an influential figure in the state program of game conservation, died Saturday night following an operation at St. Anthony's Hospital.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The 25-year-old barge that has been used for storage at Rock Island's River-Rail terminal is destined for use as a bunkhouse for workers in the Bahama Islands.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Mary Roesner, farm editor of The Daily Dispatch, has been elected president of the newly formed Illinois Farm News Association during an organizational meeting held in Springfield recently.
Back: Available days in June 2006