Day in history for June 6, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Simser has opened a new sale and feed stable in Rock Island in the alley near the Empire Saloon.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A ''haunted'' house on 1st Avenue was the topic of a great deal of local conversation.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Thomas W. Jenkins, a pioneer of this county, died at his home in Moline. He was born in Mayville, N.Y., in 1834. At an early age he settled here and entered the employ of Churchill and Sweeney, wagon manufacturers.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Cast iron pipe of 24-inch diameter to be used in the new transfer main between the water works pumping plant and the city reservoir and filtration plant will cost the city of Rock Island approximately $25,453.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An East Moline student has won a Gregg Speed Expert Award for writing shorthand at 175 words a minute on Congressional Record material with 98 percent accuracy. Loretta Wheeler was presented a medal at the Moline Institute of Commerce this morning.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Meet Lucy Miele who today becomes a weekly columnist for The Daily Dispatch. Lucy was a city gal who found happiness when she left Chicago and settled on a farm near Stockton, whence she sends stories of her experiences and tosses in a few opinions.
Back: Available days in June 2006