Day in history for June 6, 2006

1856 -- 150 years ago
Mr. Simser has opened a new sale and feed stable in Rock Island in the alley near the Empire Saloon.

1881 -- 125 years ago
A ''haunted'' house on 1st Avenue was the topic of a great deal of local conversation.

1906 -- 100 years ago
Thomas W. Jenkins, a pioneer of this county, died at his home in Moline. He was born in Mayville, N.Y., in 1834. At an early age he settled here and entered the employ of Churchill and Sweeney, wagon manufacturers.

1931 -- 75 years ago
Cast iron pipe of 24-inch diameter to be used in the new transfer main between the water works pumping plant and the city reservoir and filtration plant will cost the city of Rock Island approximately $25,453.

1956 -- 50 years ago
An East Moline student has won a Gregg Speed Expert Award for writing shorthand at 175 words a minute on Congressional Record material with 98 percent accuracy. Loretta Wheeler was presented a medal at the Moline Institute of Commerce this morning.

1981 -- 25 years ago
Meet Lucy Miele who today becomes a weekly columnist for The Daily Dispatch. Lucy was a city gal who found happiness when she left Chicago and settled on a farm near Stockton, whence she sends stories of her experiences and tosses in a few opinions.

Back: Available days in June 2006

Local events heading

  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.

(More History)