Day in history for June 30, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- J.J. Beardsley, Esq., sold Alanson Sennett, of Ohio, sixteen acres of land lying on the road between Rock Island and Moline, and being the premises upon which he now resides, for $300 per acre. Property appears to be advancing in that direction.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island had 140 telephones in use with orders for several new ones. Davenport was using 225 and Moline 65.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- At a meeting of the Democratic County Central Committee, it was decided to hold a congressional convention here on Aug. 16.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Two gallons of alcohol in a wall cache, with a siphon tube to draw it, were confiscated by Rock Island police last evening in a raid at a residence in the east end of the city.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Five brothers of Moline were among the 47 persons who completed applications for citizenship yesterday at the Rock Island County Circuit Clerk's office. They are the Kalomalos brothers, of 501 27th St., natives of Greece, who came to this country Feb. 14, 1951.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Bethany Home West, 805 19th St., Rock Island, closed after almost two years of service to area unwed mothers and their babies. The sale of the building is pending to the Rock Island Rescue Mission.
Back: Available days in June 2006