Day in history for June 29, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- On Wednesday, last, quite a large crowd of Mormons was here enroute to Salt Lake. While here some of the agents of Jim Lane endeavored to get them to go to Kansas.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles will entertain the Moline Company tomorrow night.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- At the meeting of the directors of the Rock Island Savings Bank, officers were chosen as follows: President, Phil Mitchell; vice president, H.P. Hull; cashier, P. Greenawalt.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Efforts to have construction work started this summer and fall on the entire $5,000,000 9-foot channel project in the Mississippi River at Rock Island are being made by government officials.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The City of Rock Island will have a five-man delegation present tomorrow when the new Gateway Bridge crossing the Mississippi River on U.S. Highway 30 between Clinton, Iowa, and Whiteside County, Ill., is opened for traffic and formally dedicated.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A painting of the Rock Island County Courthouse, by Quad-City artist Paul Norton, commemorates the 150th anniversary of the county. The painting shows the gold dome that Norton remembers from his youth in Rock Island. The dome was removed in the late 1950s.
Back: Available days in June 2006