Day in history for June 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A grand ball, complimentary to Madame Granet, will be given at the Island City Hotel, Monday evening June 30th.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island Mayor Henry Carse was elected one of the vice presidents of the Tri-City Sanitary Assn. James J. Parks of Rock Island was named recording secretary.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Thirty-six young people were entertained last evening by Dr. and Mrs. C.W. Foss at dinner as a courtesy to their nieces, the Misses Erickson of Red Wing, Minn.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Enduring intense heat and three full services today, the diamond jubilee anniversary celebration of the First Lutheran Church, Geneseo, came to a close. The Rev. Gotthard E. Burton said that despite the heat the celebration was a success.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A sharp slap on the face by a camp counselor routed a prowler from a tent at the Girl Scout Camp Shabonee, near Port Byron. Miss Katherine Hawkins, executive director of the Shabonee Girl Scout Council, told deputies the prowler was about 25 years old.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Geneseo is about to be fitted for a ''designer's look.'' Chipman Design of Chicago has been hired to draft a master plan for commercial building improvements and developments.
Back: Available days in June 2006