Day in history for June 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Monday morning we counted 13 steamboats at our levee, besides the two ferry boats.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Among relics recently received by the Rock Island Arsenal was a piece of artillery bearing the inscription, ''surrendered by the corporation of Yorktown, Oct. 16, 1781,'' with the motto, ''Dieu et mon droit.''
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Ardo Mitchell and J.D. Cady have returned from Omaha, Neb., where they attended the trans-Mississippi Golf Tournament.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Fire hose, which many times in the past in Rock Island has been a storm center when its purchase has risen, threw the Rock Island City Council into a conflict last night that had many of the elements of controversies of other Councils.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Harold C. Johnson, Moline, was elected president of the Illinois Funeral Directors Assn. at the 76th annual convention in the Conrad Hilton Hotel, Chicago. Johnson is associated with Esterdahl Mortuary, Moline.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Knights Drum And Bugle Corps will leave today on the first of two major tours of this season. The longest tour in the history of the Knights Corps will be the 19-day, 11-contest journey to the West Coast, including a parade and July 6 concert in Disneyland.
Back: Available days in June 2006