Day in history for June 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Robbins festival troupe will hold a picnic on the island today. The steamer Davenport will leave about 2 o'clock, taking passengers over to the grove. A good brass and cotillion band is expected to be in attendance.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- H.C. Cleaveland was today elected secretary of the Rock Island Board of Education.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A farewell reception for the Rev. and Mrs. D.S. McNary was given at the assembly rooms of the First United Presbyterian Church last night. A substantial sum was presented to the couple as a going-away present.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The upper Mississippi River Bridge Board has submitted two recommendations to the Davenport Bridge Commission in connection with the municipal project to build a bridge across the Mississippi River from Bettendorf to Moline.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Formal dedication, a ribbon-cutting ceremony, more hot weather and a group of anxious swimmers opened Rock Island's first municipal swimming pool this afternoon.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The 40-member Moline Boys Choir, on a 15-day vocal tour of five East Coast cities, sang hymns and a 13th century carol for the public Thursday in Washington's historic National Cathedral.
Back: Available days in June 2006