Day in history for June 16, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The diving bell which has been at work on the wreck of the Effie Afton for some time came up yesterday with a large lot of iron, machinery and stoves.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Residents of Zuma Township are planning to hold an old-fashioned Fourth of July celebration.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Caught on a trestle near 39th St., David Evans was struck by a St. Paul westbound passenger train and died later in St. Anthony's Hospital. He is survived by his widow and little son, Carlyle. He was 23.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- ''Scarface'' Al Capone pleaded guilty today to evasion of income tax laws and conspiracy against the prohibition law. He faces a maximum prison term of 32 years.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Norman A. Ziebell has been selected as assistant principal and dean of boys at Moline Senior High School. Ziebell has been assistant principal and dean at Calvin Coolidge Junior High School for the last five years.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Tommy Payne received a key to the city from the East Moline City Council Monday as aldermen named him public service employee of the year. Mayor Dennis Jacobs said Payne, who has worked as a janitor at the city garage for six and one-half years, is ''one of our most faithful employees.''
Back: Available days in June 2006