Day in history for June 14, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The lovers of charming music will be gratified to learn that M'lle Parodi and M'lle and Mr. Strakosh will give one of their delightful concerts here Wednesday evening.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- An unconfirmed rumor was to the effect that Paul Boynton, the famous swimmer, had drowned just before reaching Muscatine on his swimming trip down the Mississippi.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The annual Sunday school picnic of Trinity Episcopal Church was held yesterday at the Watch Tower Park.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The need for individuality in a commercial age was stressed by J. Paul Califf, Aledo attorney, to the graduating class of Rock Island High School at commencement exercises Friday evening at the Augustana College auditorium.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Starting Sunday, new and used car dealers in Rock Island County will break the long-standing custom of remaining open for business on Sundays. The decision was reached at a meeting of the dealers.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Marilyn Ziffrin, former Moliner, is now a noted composer of classical music and a teacher in the East. Ziffrin has been at New England College in Henniker, N.H., since the fall of 1967. Ziffrin was in Moline recently for a visit with her family.
Back: Available days in June 2006