Day in history for June 12, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The committees appointed by the several Sunday schools of this city met in the basement of the Baptist Church Tuesday evening, June 10.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Officer Brennan today was appointed deputy marshal.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Illinois and Wisconsin Retail Coal Dealers' Assn. will convene here on Thursday and Friday.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Vigorous protests to the proposal to divert the Hennepin Canal from Colona to the Mississippi River at East Moline, by construction of a seven-mile cut-off, were formally entered by city officials and business representatives of Rock Island, Milan, and other interests at a public hearing conducted this morning in the John Deere School, Moline.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Action to bring about the licensing of bank pool tables was withheld by the Rock Island City Council last night. But members, in a committee-of-the-whole session, agreed that a $5 fee annually would be equitable.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The executive committee of the Rock Island County Farm Bureau voted unanimously Thursday to oppose adoption of the county-wide reapportionment map prepared by Democratic leaders. The proposal divides the county into 25 single-member districts compared to the current 29.
Back: Available days in June 2006