Day in history for June 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Dement House at Fulton City will be formally dedicated to the use of the public on Thursday evening by a grand-opening festival.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Capt. Paul Boynton, famous swimmer, arrived here from St. Paul yesterday afternoon. He is swimming to Cairo, Ill. He has been 12 days coming down the river.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Graduates of Augustana Seminary were enroute to Denver today, where they will be ordained by the Augustana Synod.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The number of candidates for the two places on the Rock Island Board of Education to be filled in the election on Tuesday, June 30, was increased to seven today when G.H. Campbell announced his candidacy.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Dredging operations started this morning in the channel of Rock Island's new small-boat harbor near Lake Potter in Sunset Park. About 32,000 or 33,000 square yards of silt will be removed in the $23,000 operation.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- It took her a while, more than half a century, but Edith Wilson of East Moline finally got her high-school diploma. She was among more than 300 area students who received their General Education Development, or high-school equivalency, certificate of achievement Wednesday at Black Hawk College.
Back: Available days in June 2006