Day in history for May 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The span of the great railroad bridge, which was burned at the Effie Afton disaster, we suppose, cannot be replaced until the river falls. The loss to the railroad company cannot be less than about $20,000.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The graduating class of Rock Island High School presented the school with a picture of Longfellow today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. James Carl left this morning for Memphis, Tenn., to attend the convention of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Time-worn yellowed pages of family albums and papers preserved almost since the great plains states were settled by pioneers have revealed to H.E. Wendell, 115 16th Ave., Rock Island, veteran employee of the Tri-City Railway Co., his right to claim a share of the famous Wendell estate of many millions of dollars in New York.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An extensive improvement program, estimated at $50,000, is scheduled for Chippiannock Cemetery in Rock Island, following reorganization of its controlling association.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Either Rock Island is going to the dogs or dogs are not man's best friend. Five Rock Island residents were bitten by dogs in separate incidents Thursday, and one man had his dog stolen.
Back: Available days in May 2006