Day in history for May 5, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Our old and faithful carrier, Martin Griffin, being about to establish himself in business at Keithsburg, has disposed of his route to Mr. W.R. McCormick, who will see that our friends in this city are regularly supplied in the future.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Deere And Co. fire company of Moline today challenged any hose company in the Tri-Cities to a friendly run at 300 yards, break coupling and attach nozzle, coupling to be broken by hand, the race to come off on May 30.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Brewery Co. officials were in conference today with striking brewers.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Heralded as the newest of inland seaports, open to commerce of the world, Rock Island dedicated its $380,000 Quad-City river and rail terminal at the foot of 5th Avenue today.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Selection of Albert Stevens as Moline Municipal Swimming Pool manager and Joseph Vavrus as director of playground activities in Moline for the summer was announced today by the Playground and Recreation Board.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The East Moline City Council gave police the power to arrest children 15 and younger in the city's two ''places of amusement'' if they aren't accompanied by their parents.
Back: Available days in May 2006