Day in history for May 27, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Chandler Robbins of Chicago has arrived in our city for the purpose of bringing out one of the most beautiful musical entertainments ever witnessed, entitled the Opera of Forest Festival.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- John Lendoran, a bridge tender, lost his pocketbook yesterday while out bathing. Fortunately the purse only contained a small amount of money.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Plans for a club house were adopted at the meeting of the Rock Island Gun Club. It will cost in the neighborhood of $300 and will be erected at once on the club's grounds at the Watch Tower.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Consideration is being given by the Rock Island YWCA to acquisition of the Harms Hotel, 1st Avenue and 18th Street.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- ''This is one of the most beautiful spots I have seen in the entire state,'' Governor William S. Stratton said during the dedication of the new Rock River bridge and the new Erie Recreation Park.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Spike O'Dell, well-known KSTT Radio disc jockey, has resigned his job at the Davenport station and has accepted a similar position at Radio Station WBT-AM in Charlotte, N.C. O'Dell, who is from East Moline, will leave the Davenport station in July.
Back: Available days in May 2006