Day in history for May 25, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that our statement in relation to two more rafts broken up was incorrect. We learn that the raftsmen now separate the ''cribs'' while coming down the rapids, thus making three or four small rafts which can more easily avoid the piers of the bridge.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At the Masonic Temple last night the council degrees were conferred on a number of Royal Arch Masons.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Tomorrow, Memorial Day Sunday, John Buford Post, GAR, and other patriotic societies will attend services at the Central Presbyterian Church.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Hurrying to catch the Rock Island-Davenport ferry at 6:15 last night, Mrs. Christine Rossiter, of Moline, stepped in front of a locomotive of the Burlington Railroad and was instantly killed.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Delinquency petitions are scheduled to be filed in Rock Island County Court against five boys accused of uprooting 396 small pine trees at Loding's Nursery, 4001 Coaltown Road, south of Moline.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Mel McKay express train at Niabi Zoo has a new passenger car. The car was acquired through the combined efforts of the Mel McKay trust fund, Niabi Zoological Society and the Rock Island County Forest Preserve Commission.
Back: Available days in May 2006