Day in history for May 22, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The telegraph wires are now in connection with Davenport via the bridge. Mr. Sweet, the superintendent, has been engaged for a week in replacing them, after they had been broken down by the falling of the bridge.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Victory went up the river this morning with a number of barges in tow.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. Henry H. Chase died at his home last night from blood poisoning contracted in caring for a patient.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Yesterday marked the official opening of the final link in Route 84, state highway between Taylor Ridge and the Muscatine bridge, and the completion of a hard road route between Rock Island and the lower end of Rock Island County.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Moline firemen entered a bid with the City Council finance committee for pay raises, which with wages for the proposed addition of eight members, would amount to an estimated $45,000 hike in wage expense next year.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Machinery and memorabilia left over from the glory days of the Rock Island Lines will be auctioned off Saturday in Silvis. John Burnett, vice president of purchasing for the bankrupt railroad, said several auctions held at other Rock properties have been quite successful.
Back: Available days in May 2006