Day in history for May 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. T. Doran, an artist of some celebrity, is now receiving subscriptions for the publication of a map of Rock Island.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Two confidence men who have been stopping at the City Hotel and who ran up quite a bill presented a draft on the National Bank of Clinton. The hotel proprietor, Mr. Gigenheimer, sent his bartender to Clinton with them to have the draft cashed. On the road the two men turned upon the bartender and robbed him.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The house on L.S. McCabe's farm near Andalusia was struck by lightning Thursday night and totally destroyed.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Members of the alumni association of St. Joseph's Parochial School were today reported as negotiating for the services of Robert Burgitt, popular Rock Island High School basketball coach.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Plans to erect a $2,000,000 shopping center on 118 acres on the southwest corner of the intersection of Black Hawk Rd. and Highway 150 at the southern edge of Moline have been announced by Stewart R. Winstein, Rock Island attorney.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The East Moline city council Monday killed a request to rezone five acres along 5th Street north of 45th Avenue to permit construction of 46 condominiums and townhouses.
Back: Available days in May 2006