Day in history for May 18, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The ground is thoroughly soaked, the streams unusually high and the season very backward.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. A.B. Allen, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, Rock Island, was appointed as one of the delegates to the convention of the province of Illinois.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- C.B. Knox, Thomas Campbell, Commander J.H. Gardner and John Rinck of John Buford Post, Grand Army of the Republic, left for Galesburg today to open headquarters for E.H. Buck, candidate for department commander.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- While there are no definite candidates in the field for the two places on the Rock Island Board of Education, indications now are that a contest may develop with two slates, one sponsored by the present membership and the other representing the group headed by the Rock Island Taxpayers Assn.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A new building providing space for two retail stores is to be built in downtown Rock Island at 1810-12 2nd Ave. at an estimated cost of $38,500.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Marguerite F. Potter, 90, president of the J.W. Potter Co., which publishes the Rock Island Argus, and of the Rock Island Broadcasting Co., died Sunday at her Rock Island home, 1906 7th Ave., after an extended illness.
Back: Available days in May 2006