Day in history for May 14, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Notwithstanding the unpleasant weather, we learn that pews in the new Second Presbyterian Church were sold Monday evening amounting to $4,300.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Frank Williams, advance man for the ''Hazel Kirkes'' production was in the city today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Ferdinand Jochims of Rock Island died at Riverside, Iowa, Saturday evening. He had been engaged in construction work there for H. Tappendorf, Rock Island constructor.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Certificates of excellence were awarded to 14 members of the vocal music department of the Rock Island High School at the conclusion of the first annual recital in the high school auditorium last night. William Kinney, tenor, was awarded first place with a grade of 95.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The New York Store has acquired the adjacent 3-story Kneberg Bldg., Ad Estess, president of the Moline department store, said today with ''a view to long-range future expansion programs.''
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island County Board nursing home committee still aren't sure when the roof at Oak Glen Home in Coal Valley will be repaired. Buckets are now used whenever it rains to collect water seeping through the roof.
Back: Available days in May 2006