Day in history for May 13, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The river is very high at this point now, probably from 13 to 15 feet above low water mark, and it is still rising.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Barlow, Wilson, Primrose and West's Minstrels will be the attraction at the Harper Theater next Monday night.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- At the Illinois conference of the Augustana Synod held at Joliet, A.G. and I.M. Anderson of Rock Island, P. Westerlund of Orion, and P.A. Thurene of Swedona were chosen as lay delegates to the national conference at Denver in June.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- L.A. Mahoney, superintendent of Moline schools, returned home from the University Hospital at Iowa City, where he had been taking X-ray treatments for a month. He injured his hip in a fall shortly before Christmas.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An East Moline motorist who tried to start a drag race on 4th Ave., Moline, last night picked on the wrong driver. He happened to be Police Officer Perry Gellerstedt and the motorist was booked for speeding.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island's school board Tuesday rejected a $30,000 bid on the vacant Lincoln School by a 5-2 vote leaving board members hoping a higher price can be found for the 88 year old building at 6th Ave. and 21st St.
Back: Available days in May 2006