Day in history for May 12, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Adams And Co., formerly proprietors of the Old Boston Market, have opened a new store in the old People's Market.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island County Temperance Alliance is to meet in Moline on May 19.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The steamer ''J.W.'' of the Acme Packet Co. will open the excursion season in Rock Island on May 24. The ''J.S.'' is due here on June 9.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Citizens of Davenport approved the new Mississippi River bridge bond issue yesterday. Davenport voted 2 to 1 for the bridge which is to span the river between Moline and Bettendorf.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Ronald Dupree was awarded first place for his insect collection display at the State Junior Academy of Science competition recently in Springfield, it was announced today by Arthur C. Hanson, Geneseo Senior High School science instructor. Ronald, a student at Geneseo Junior High School, was the only Geneseoan to receive a first place rating.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Mark Pustelnik and John Davis of the East Moline Wrestling Club each won state championships Saturday in the Illinois Kids Wrestling Federation tournament at Oak Park. Pustelnik won the 70-pound title and Davis took the 95-pound class, both in the 12-year-old bracket.
Back: Available days in May 2006