Day in history for May 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Our readers will remember that tonight is the time set apart for the Juvenile Festival at the Baptist Church. Go and be delighted.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Lawrence Barrett will be seen at the Harper Theater next Wednesday night in ''Julius Caesar.''
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Funds for the improvement of Long View Park were within $2,000 of the desired amount today.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A search of more than a month by Rock Island and State Highway Police ended last night as Carl ''Cully'' Carlson, 30, alias Frank Jordan and Frank Johnson, Rock Island ex-convict, was captured after killing a Chicago policeman and wounding two others in Chicago's Loop as he resisted arrest on a robbery charge.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- It is believed by WHBF officials that the new WHBF-TV tower, south of Orion, will be the highest physical structure in Illinois, a distinction now held by Chicago's new 914-foot Prudential building and WGN-TV antenna.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Brian and Brady Fitzgerald, Davenport, will receive the Red Cross National Health and Service Award. Although Brian, 16, can hear, his brother, 15-year-old Brady, is deaf. But they both know sign language and use it to teach first aid to children.
Back: Available days in May 2006