Day in history for April 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island as a manufacturing and commercial city is rapidly becoming known to outsiders, and people from abroad begin to cast their eyes towards us as the depot for the wholesale supplies.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Word was received here that Judge J.W. Drury, a former Rock Island resident, married Miss S.E. Garvin of Buffalo in St. Augustine, Fla.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. D.L. McNary, pastor of the First United Presbyterian Church, is to resign his charge at the end of this year.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The clatter of hammers sounded on the banks of the Mississippi River this morning as workmen began the erection of temporary office and shop buildings on the site of the $1,326,000 Rock Island locks project.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Al Szasz copped two of three falls Saturday night to defeat Mr. and Mrs. Mario DeZousa in the first husband-wife wrestling show ever presented at Moline's Wharton Fieldhouse. In the semi-windup Bill Melby defeated Iron Mike DiBiase when the latter was disqualified.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Mill Creek Country Club will host Frank Krone Day Tuesday to honor the veteran Quad-City referee. Krone has officiated sports in the area for the last 26 years.
Back: Available days in April 2006