Day in history for April 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- N.H. Bennett advertises for 300 children at the Second Presbyterian Church to take part in the festival that is to come off the first of next May.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Duck weeds were numerous along the river and in sloughs and ice was reported moving at Port Byron and Cordova.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Press Club is to sponsor the production of ''The Clansman'' at the Burtin Theater, Davenport, on April 17.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The first step toward the construction of the Rock Island locks was taken today by officials of the Merritt-Chapman And Whitney Corp., contractors-apparent for the $1,326,000 works in the Mississippi which will be part of the 9-foot channel development in the upper river.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Cornerstone laying for the new building of the First Baptist Church, Moline, will take place at 3 tomorrow at the site, 1901 29th St. The ceremony will mark the 100th anniversary, almost to the month, of the completion of the first building of the church at the corner of 6th Avenue and 17th Street in May 1856.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The 225-employee research center at the International Harvester East Moline plant will be closed this summer in a consolidation of IH engineering facilities.
Back: Available days in April 2006