Day in history for April 7, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We are glad to notice that business places, shops, stores, groceries, etc. are springing up in different parts of the city.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Illinois and Iowa Central District Medical Assn. will meet in Rock Island next Thursday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Independent Order of Svithoid celebrated its second anniversary last night in Odd Fellows Hall.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Contractors for the Continental Construction Co.'s natural gas pipe line from Texas to Chicago have begun operations in Rock Island County, where expenditures for the project will approximate a million dollars.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- One of America's leading anthropologists, Dr. William Bascom of Northwestern University, Evanston, who was today identifying and cataloging the African collection of the Davenport Public Museum, termed it ''impressive'' and unusual for a town the size of Davenport to have acquired it.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The bottom floor of St. Mary's Catholic School, 1925 13th St., East Moline, was in shambles early today. Police say an arsonist set the fire in a bottom-floor storage room after taking $45 and a radio-cassette player from the school office.
Back: Available days in April 2006