Day in history for April 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Winters of the Island City Shaving Saloon has reduced his prices for shaving, etc. Mr. Winters is a first-rate workman and keeps a tip-top shop.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The river was still blockaded with ice today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Davis celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary last night. Progressive cinch was played and there was a musical program.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Anthony Billburg of Rock Island, serving a 20-year term for the murder of Connor Looney, testified today before a legislative committee investigating prison conditions at Joliet that he and John Looney, another Rock Island inmate, were ''dying by inches'' in prison and had been denied treatment by outside physicians.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Three industrial plants and two oil companies were threatened as flames fanned by high winds, swept through brush, weeds and dry grass in an area extending between 18th and 13th Avenues and 1st and Mill Streets, Rock Island, yesterday afternoon.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Boxing great Muhammed Ali, 39, was in East Moline Friday night for `Atlanta Night Benefit' at the Quad-City Downs. The event raised more than $10,000 to help find the killer of 22 persons in Atlanta.
Back: Available days in April 2006