Day in history for April 29, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island High School will be examined as to its progress in the several branches of study on Thursday next, at 2 o'clock, and will give a grand exhibition on Friday evening, at the courthouse.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Athletic Club decided to sell its boats and to retire in part from active participation in rowing events. The destruction of the boat house brought about this action.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- About 100 friends of Frank O. Larson surprised him on the occasion of his birthday anniversary.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Citizens Trust And Savings Bank of Davenport is be to consolidated with the American Commercial And Savings Bank and the American Trust Co. The new institution is to be known as the American Savings Bank And Trust Co.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Kay Carlson, 1615 25th St., Moline, a graduate student in education at the University of Illinois, will have the leading role of Ann Whitefield in the University Theater production of ''Man and Superman'' by Bernard Shaw, May 9-12.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Green Rock City Council Tuesday banned hiring relatives for city work. Relatives of an elected official or the official's spouse can't be hired or appointed to a city position.
Back: Available days in April 2006