Day in history for April 24, 2006

1856 -- 150 years ago
The first passenger train ever to run over the first and only railroad bridge across the Mississippi River was run from Rock Island Tuesday morning. William H. Whitman, assistant superintendent of the Chicago And Rock Island Railroad, acted as engineer.

1881 -- 125 years ago
``God in History'' was the sermon topic of the Rev. Irving A. Searles at the Christian Chapel.

1906 -- 100 years ago
Conductor R.C. Watkins of the Rock Island Lines returned from Panama after a two-month sojourn.

1931 -- 75 years ago
The Rev. John S. Neal, Decatur, formerly a minister of the Methodist Church who is to be ordained a deacon of the Episcopal Church, will come back to Rock Island May 1 to assume his duties as assistant to the Rev. Rodney F. Cobb, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church.

1956 -- 50 years ago
Spring arrived today in Rock Island's hobo jungle and so did police. Officers rounded up seven Iowans, most of whom had been drinking wine, in an area along Sylvan Slough at the rear of the Rock Island Millwork Co.

1981 -- 25 years ago
The Rock Island County Metropolitan Mass Transit District voted to raise fares May 1 to 50 cents for adults, students and children and to 25 cents for elderly and handicapped passengers.

Back: Available days in April 2006




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)