Day in history for April 21, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The greatest increase of business and population in the lower part of the city demands the immediate erection of a large hotel somehwere in the vicinity of Franklin Square.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock River flood was increasing in severity today. The lowlands of this vicinity were under water.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Argus carried a front page story today to the effect that stricken San Francisco was burying its dead and planning a new start. Rock Island was raising a fund for the sufferers.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- With 5,049 votes cast by noon, there was indications that balloting in Rock Island's city election today would not exceed a normal figure.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Consolidation of garage facilities of the Rock Island-Moline and Davenport City Lines at the company-owned bus garage at 1019 E. River St., Davenport, will come up for decision this year.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- On April 21, 1856, 125 years ago today, the bridge between Rock Island and Davenport was finished and the engine ''Fort Des Moines'' made the first crossing. The crossing is being marked today and Wednesday by a special postal cancellation at the Rock Island and Davenport Post Offices.
Back: Available days in April 2006