Day in history for April 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- R.S. Crampton has been sending us long articles every week for the past six months advocating a prohibitory liquor law. We suppose Mr. Crampton ought to know that we labored as hard as we know how to defeat the project.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Salsbury's Troubadours will present ''The Brook'' at the Harper Theater Monday evening.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- At the Broadway Presbyterian Church $77 was raised for the San Francisco sufferers.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Friends of reelected Mayor Chester Thompson staged an enthusiastic celebration at Democratic headquarters in the new Harper Hotel last night.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Award of a contract for purchase of a custom-built newspaper press with four-color facilities to R. Hoe And Co., Inc., New York, was announced today by The Argus, promising this newspaper the most modern and most fully developed machinery available.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Two Moline wrestlers won championships Saturday at the United States Wrestling Federation Greco-Roman tournament at Hersey High School. Todd Rosenthal, wrestling in the open division at 114 pounds, won his third straight national title. Garvin Smith, 154 pounds, won the junior division for high school students.
Back: Available days in April 2006