Day in history for April 2, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The city has purchased the site of the old Boston Market for $2,100 and the old building is to be removed this month.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- There was a big ice gorge in the river just below the Sylvan Slough and along the city levee today. A rise in the water is feared when the gorge breaks up.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Between 700 and 800 miners employed in Rock Island and Mercer County went on strike today.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Radio station WHBF was granted permission by the Federal Communications Commission to increase its broadcast power from 100 to 500 watts, according to a dispatch from Washington, D.C.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Several hundred persons jammed the sidewalks outside the 2nd Ave. entrance of Rock Island's new Younkers Department Store at 11:30 this morning to witness the official opening of the store.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Cynthia Borkgren, Geneseo High School senior, has won the honor of being the first Geneseo High School student to win a Speech Committee of Teachers of Individual Events (SCOTIE) tournament medal in speech team competition. Borkgren won the award at the SCOTIE tournament of champions held recently at Northern Illinois University, DeKalb.
Back: Available days in April 2006