Day in history for April 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We rejoice to learn that the forthcoming May festival is rapidly progressing and that the children, under the charge of Mr. N.H. Bennett, have most astonishingly improved.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Milan was partly submerged and the stage of water in Rock River was two feet higher than has ever before been the case. The Milan paper mill was completely surrounded by water.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A dispatch to The Argus today said that fires were still raging in San Francisco following the great earthquake.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The tumult and shouting will cease after tonight in Rock Island's city election campaign and tomorrow the voters will go to the polls to select a mayor, a city clerk, a city treasurer, a police magistrate, and seven aldermen. Voting places will be open from 7 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Some 60 delegates are expected to attend the joint spring meeting of the Illinois News Broadcasters Assn. and the Iowa Radio and Television News Assn. tomorrow and Saturday in the Fort Armstrong Hotel, Rock Island.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Moline fire officials are investigating the possibility of arson in a string of four fires within a 14-block area early Saturday.
Back: Available days in April 2006