Day in history for April 17, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The order given by our City Council for a fire engine has been placed on file. It is to be one of Button's best piano engines, throwing three streams, and costing $1,350.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The executive committee of the Rock Island County Sunday School Association decided to hold five conventions during the year.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Dean J.J. Quinn has announced plans for the remodeling of St. Joseph's Church at a cost of $30,000.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Jail cells in the men's section of the Rock Island County jail are now equipped with modern group control locking devices. Installation of the new locks was completed yesterday by the Pauly Jail Building Co. of St. Louis.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Because of the effectiveness of safety belts in reducing the severity of crash injuries has been definitely established by its own experience, the Bituminous Casualty Corporation of Rock Island is equipping all company cars with a second belt for the front seat.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island, dredged 150 cubic yards of mud from the entrance to Marquis Harbor, Moline. The dredging will prevent the entrance from clogging later this year.
Back: Available days in April 2006