Day in history for April 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Both steam ferry boats are now busily at work crossing teams and pedestrians in any quantity. Come to Rock Island if you want a safe passage across the father of waters.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The report of Supt. of Schools Everett for the month of March showed a total enrollment today of 1,759 pupils.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- ''The Tie That Binds'' is the attraction at the Illinois Theater tonight.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Two hundred new members will be sought in the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce drive beginning next Tuesday, H.W. Litten, general chairman, announced today upon completion of the campaign organization.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Teenage drivers are on the spot in Moline. The Moline Police Department and the Juvenile Council of Moline today announced plans to arrest parents, if necessary, to keep the community's streets free of unlicensed drivers.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Toll increases that will help finance $1 million in Centennial Bridge repairs went into effect at 10 this morning. The increase, 5 cents for vans and pickups, and 10 cents for cars, motorcycles and other vehicles, are expected to generate $750,000 a year for each of the next two years.
Back: Available days in April 2006