Day in history for March 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Spring will come. We have His Word for it, who never fails in His promises. It is not too soon to begin to think of a garden.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- County Clerk Donaldson, who occupies rooms at the Rock Island House, saved the life of Jonathan Grueber of Cincinnati, a guest at the hotel, who came near suffocating from escaping gas early today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The ice gorge on the Rock River in the vicinity of Erie broke without causing damage so there will be no more danger from ice or water.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The sum of $1,446.64 was reported by the teams participating in the annual drive for the Rock Island Rescue Mission at the first report luncheon held in the Mother's Club rooms at the mission this noon. The mission is seeking $6,000.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A squad of Rock Island policemen shot and killed a fox, apparently a tamed animal, after it attacked a woman in Rock Island shortly after 6 this morning. Severely bitten by the animal at 9th St. and 2nd Ave. while she was enroute to church was Mrs. Victor Poma, 814 2nd Ave., Rock Island.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Illinois State Treasurer Jerome Cosentino was in Moline Sunday to endorse Democratic mayoral candidate Larry Fosbinder.
Back: Available days in March 2006