Day in history for March 7, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The account of the meeting held at the courthouse, in relation to the establishment of a good system of schools, has been furnished us for publication.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Buford Plow Works was running night and day today, working the heaviest force it has had in years.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Anna Ehlers of the American Regalia Co. was surprised by her co-workers Saturday night at the home of Mrs. John Kurth Jr., the occasion being her birthday anniversary.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Suggestions that a flat per car charge of $5, plus the usual per diem reclaim, be agreed upon for the movement of freight to and from the Rock Island barge terminal in the proposed Quad-City metropolitan switching district have failed to win the approval of freight traffic executives of the three principal railroads serving the Quad-Cities.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Moline will get a new 116-car off-street parking lot in the downtown business district about April 15 as the result of an offer by the Rock Island Lines to turn the grounds adjacent to the passenger depot into a parking lot.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County bus ridership has grown 185 percent since 1973, according to a Bi-State Planning Commission study.
Back: Available days in March 2006