Day in history for March 29, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Elected officers for the Trinity Episcopal Church: Wardens, S.M. Harris, A. Arnold; vestrymen, J.W. Drury, C. Lynde Jr., E. Carter, B. Davenport, W.H. Whitman, J.H. Langley, and Joseph W. Brackett.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The ice in the river showed signs of weakening today, and a break-up is expected next week.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. J.E. Raut of Sears drowned in Rock River when a boat in which she and her husband were fishing capsized above the old dam at the foot of Watch Tower.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The most severe snow storm of the season swept eastward over the upper Mississippi Valley today, leaving a six-inch blanket over the Quad-Cities and smothering most of Iowa.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Fanned by a brisk wind out of the northwest, yesterday, fire destroyed the main building of Blackhawk Clay Products Inc., in Carbon Cliff. The fire did an estimated $100,000 damage to the building and machinery.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The sixth Henry County barn fire in a week was reported to Geneseo fire and police officials at 10:10 p.m. Saturday. Police said a barn belonging to James Plumb, of RR 2, Geneseo, about 8 miles northwest of the city, burned to the ground by the time fire equipment arrived.
Back: Available days in March 2006