Day in history for March 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A car on a Chicago And Rock Island Railroad freight train caught fire near Tiskilwa Wednesday and was consumed. A printing press, type, cases, etc., for Muscatine, were in the car and were destroyed.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Hiberian Blondes will be the attraction at Harper's Theater next Friday evening.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- It was announced today that the supply of coal in Rock Island probably will last for only about a week on account of the closing of mines in several states.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Puffing upstream with two other barges, carrying cargoes, in tow, the federal barge line steamer Hurley arrived shortly before dusk last night with the $58,000 steel barge constructed at Jeffersonville, Ind., for the Rock Island riverrail terminal.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- According to the state police a semi-trailer loaded with 34,000 pounds of frozen fish tipped over at the intersection of Highways 82 and 92 about three miles east of Joslin about midnight last night.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- More than $10,000 in AM-FM radios were taken from new International Harvester tractors and combines at Jenkins Truck Line Inc., 101 1st Ave., Moline, Thursday night or early Friday morning.
Back: Available days in March 2006