Day in history for March 25, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The great railroad bridge across the Mississippi is being completed, all but the draw. A rope bridge has been constructed across the draw for foot passengers and the convenience of those at work on the bridge.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- An attempt to break the ice gorge with dynamite failed this morning owing to the fuse being wrongly laid.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The local warehouses of the Carnival City Packet Co., the Acme Packet Co., and the Eclipse Packet Co. were opened this morning. The first trip will be made from the local landing Wednesday afternoon when the Helen Blair opens the season.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Two switchmen of the Rock Island Lines, employed in Davenport, were seriously hurt within a period of 10 hours as they fell beneath freight cars. They are Edmund L. Fuller, 48, and William G. Fry, 53, both of Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Chuck Dhooge, standout lineman with the unbeaten Rock Island High School team of 1952, has been chosen co-captain of the 1956 Valparaiso University football season.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Seventeen area fire chiefs inspected the Silvis Fire Department's new $236,000 tower truck Wednesday morning in the parking lot of Bank of Silvis.
Back: Available days in March 2006