Day in history for March 24, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Abraham Hartzell has just opened a mine of genuine cannel coal, on his farm on the road leading from Moline to Wilson's Ferry, about six miles from this city.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A set of harness and saddle and bridle were stolen last night from Frank Knox's barn.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Edward W. Olson observed their fifth wedding anniversary Thursday evening. Progressive cinch was a feature of the entertainment. The hostess was presented with a cut glass bowl.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Assistant Sec. of Commerce for Aeronautics Clarence M. Young made a forced landing yesterday afternoon at the Moline Airport on account of engine trouble. He continued his trip to Des Moines by train.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island firemen today were still trying to shake off a foul smelling odor that resulted when pranksters dumped a small bottle of liquid in a washroom at the Rocket Theater in downtown Rock Island last night.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Michael Ellis of East Moline is the new Quad-Cities' chess champion. Ellis, a systems programmer for Deere And Co., took the title by scoring 4 wins and a draw during a five-game tournament Saturday and Sunday in Davenport.
Back: Available days in March 2006