Day in history for March 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Attention is directed to the advertisement of Mr. Barr, who proposes to open a branch of his institution in our city. We have no hesitancy in recommending him to all who wish to improve or perfect their commercial education.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At a caucus of the Nationals it was decided to leave open the nominations for city attorney, police magistrate, and justice.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Harry E. McCullough, who was injured recently while attempting to board the early ''tripper'' of the Tri-City Railway Co., died this morning. He was 18 years old.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A bid of $1,326,472.05 by the Merritt-Chapman And Whitney Corp. of Duluth, Minn., was the lowest submitted today for the construction of the Rock Island locks in the Mississippi River.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Three junior high school students admitted to Rock Island police today that their game of car-top tag was responsible for damage to autos at the Bowladrome, 3030 7th Ave.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Council on Alcoholism has doubled its offer to buy the office and adjoining New Hope Lodge buildings it now leases from the Rock Island County Federation of Women's Clubs.
Back: Available days in March 2006