Day in history for March 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Our neighbors across the river are in trouble. The ice must soon break up, and render it most difficult for them to come over for their daily draughts, for several days.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Ex-Mayor Reynolds was contemplating a trip to Nebraska today.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Old residents here recalled the fact that 25 years ago on this date a heavy snowstorm visited Rock Island.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Taylor, 2107 17th St., Rock Island, became the parents of triplet girls, weighing four pounds each at birth, early this morning.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Pinball machines that were gobbling up students' lunch money have been removed from three Milan business establishments. Village Marshal Hollis Work said he requested the action. The three establishments are places where students of the Milan school often congregate during the noon hour.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Sambo's Restaurants in the Quad-Cities will continue to be known by that name for the time being, but the company is trying a less-controversial slogan on for size in three eastern states. The new name, ''No Place Like Sam's,'' will be used at 18 restaurants in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Hampshire.
Back: Available days in March 2006