Day in history for March 17, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Editor: I notice a communication from F.G. in the Rock Islander, advocating a public bath house. It is an institution very much wanted and one if conducted on the right principle will not only pay well but be of great benefit to the community.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Bailey Davenport was nominated for mayor by the Democratic convention held in Turner Hall last night.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- West and Vokes in ''A Pair of Pinks'' will be seen at the Illinois Theater on March 20.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A movement to relieve overcrowded conditions in the Rock Island Federal Building, which already have caused governmental offices to take quarters in other office buildings in the city, has been launched in Washington, D.C.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island man who stole a fire truck at Farmington, Iowa, apparently did firemen a favor. The drive shaft of the vehicle broke before Lee Roe, 22, Rock Island, could get more than three miles away. Firemen said it was a good thing that didn't happen on the way to a fire.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- About 20 families have expressed interest so far in buying the five homes that will be built in East Moline's Watertown area with the help of a federal grant.
Back: Available days in March 2006