Day in history for March 13, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Democrats of Rock Island precinct are requested to meet on Saturday at 7 o'clock in the City Council room for the purpose of choosing 10 delegates to the county convention.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At the Christian Chapel, the Rev. Irving A. Searles preached on ''The Gospel for Lawyers.''
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Christian Olsen, believed to be the oldest native of Norway in Rock Island, died at his home this morning.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Fred Doeckel Jr., 20, and Richard Miner, 18, have returned to Rock Island after taking a trip to Florida with total cash assets between them of $2.25.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A blanket of flames followed a mysterious explosion shortly after 8 this morning in a Watertown drug store. The interior of the Wiedenmann and Cosgrave Drug Store, 266 19th St., East Moline, was destroyed by the rapidly spreading flames.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Mark Schwiebert for City Council Campaign Committee has mailed nearly 200 randomly selected voters a six-question survey asking for ratings of city services, downtown, schools, parks and residential areas; rankings of issues affecting the city's future, and opinions on favored methods of attracting business.
Back: Available days in March 2006